Currently there is no way to predict or prevent SIDS/SUDC. Parents can do everything “right” and still lose their loved ones to SIDS/SUDC. Research has not provided any known ways to reduce the risks of SUDC. However, there are ways to greatly reduce your risks of SIDS.
- Place infants on their backs to sleep.
- Place infants to sleep in a baby bed with a firm mattress. Remove any pillows, bumper pads, positioning devices, blankets and toys.
- Do not place your baby to sleep in an adult bed.
- Do not let you baby overheat.
- Avoid exposing the infant to tobacco smoke.
- Offer your baby a pacifier at nap time and bedtime.
- Breast-feed whenever possible.
- Get medical care early in pregnancy.
CLICK HERE to see what a safe sleep environment looks like.